Friday, June 3, 2011

Speech Communication(Speech 11)

Speech communication is one of the three subjects I took this summer class. Through some of my friends who already finish taking this subject, I already had an expectation of what will gonna happen during this subject, I mean, the activities in this subject. From the word SPEECH itself, I viewed this subject as more on speaking up using English language. We will be taught the correct pronunciation of the word, stressed word, intonation and the proper way in speaking. Honestly, I hate this subject a little bit since I have the fear in speaking up in front of many. It's not actually fear. Let's just say, I hate to stand and speak before people. If it's dancing, I am in the game. But speech? I doubt I could make it well. Upon entering this class, we already had an speak up activity. In this activity, we were given a text. We have to memorize it and deliver it before the class. And we were graded. We were given one day to practice it. For that day, we were required to wear a business or formal attire as needed for an official speaker. We were graded this way: Mastery= 25%, Delivery= 60%, Audience Rapport and Proper Attire= 15% for a total of 100%. During the activity, waiting for my turn, I felt nervous. When I touch my hand, it was cold until the time for me to come up on stage and speak. I looked at my classmates, also our professor first before I open my mouth to start my speech. Below is the text that given into us which is to be delivered during the activity but the greetings are excluded:

"My respect to our speech instructor, Dr. Zenaida C. Dumaguing. Ma'am! (Vowed slightly). And to you, ladies and gentlemen, good afternoon!

Are you nervous? I suppose you are. But why? Communication is the best thing that can ever happen to two people - to many people. When asked to speak, you are likely to exclaim: a speech? But what will I say? An invitation to a cocktail party? But how will I react when I am confronted by all those strangers? They want me to say a few words to the guests. I know I shall be terrible. What on earth will I say.

Many things! And you can do them. Listen to a confident man speak. He is, at once, convincing and brilliant, charming and entertaining. People say he is a born orator, a glib conversationalist. But nothing could be farther from the truth. He has been getting practice. He increased his speech power and learned the secret on how to speak.

You too can share the secret of his success!

This is the time - the good time!"

During my speech, I could feel that I was shaking. To calm down, I just pinched my hand which was placed at my back. This helped me to ease or lessen my nervousness. I did that until I finished. When I finished, before I came down from the stage, I saw our teacher smiled and turn her head up and down, meaning that I delivered the activity well. Yahoo! We weren't able to see or know our grades for that activity but I am confident enough to say that I passed. I was happy not just because I passed but because I was able to conquer my nervousness. I congratulate myself for a job well done! Hehehe!

2 comments:

  1. You forgot to acknowledge the author of what you delivered - Dr. Milagros Castillo Espina. This is from her EFCOM book of the University of San Jose-Recoletos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah.. she's my teacher during 1994.. bachelor of science in computer science.. USJR batch '98

    ReplyDelete