Friday, June 17, 2011

Reporting in Health Education Subject (part 1)

At the beginning of summer class of 2011, we were divided into eight groups. For every meeting, one group should report its assigned topics. All members should have topics to be reported. Then after the report, our teacher would explain further about the topics that have discussed by the members of the group. On the next meeting, before the next report, there would be a short quiz for about 10-15 items. That was our routine for every meeting in this subject. The reporting went on until May 12. On May 13, Friday, our instructor required each group to report. Actually, this was not really a report. It was like a demonstration on how to be an health educator since being an educator to the client is one of the role of a nurse.

The topics of the reports were about developmental change of human such as infant, toddler, preschooler, school-aged, adolescence, young adulthood, middle adulthood and older adulthood. The leader of each group picked a roll of paper from a glass of bowl provided by our teacher, like in a lottery. This paper contained the topic that should be discussed during the demonstration. Our group got the toddler topic. The sequence in reporting was according to developmental stages which is from infant until older adulthood, so our group was the 2nd group to present. After this, we were given a time to meet with our group mates and talked about this activity. Upon talking about the activity, my group mates chose me to be the representative to discuss the whole topic that had assigned to our group. I felt happy that they choose me, because this meant that they liked the way how I reported. On the other hand, I felt pressured since our teacher said that if he would be satisfied with the demonstration, our group will be exempted for the final examination. The chance to get exempted was in my hands. I never promised them that we would be exempted. I just told them that I would do the best I can to make our presentation good.

I had two days (Saturday and Sunday) to prepare for the activity which would be on Monday. Actually, on the day, on my way home, I thought of quitting and would just pass the task to our leader. This was what the half of my mind said. The other side told me to go with it, that I can do it. My group mates chose me so it meant they trusted me. They have trusted my ability. And if I could do it, I can make myself proud, especially my family and relatives. With this thought, I didn't quit.

What would happen next? Would I ever finish my report even if I'm alone in making it? Would my group be exempted for the examination? These questions will be answered on the blog entry next to this. Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment