Sunday, January 8, 2012

Experiencing Simbang Gabi

I'm used to Misa de Gallo. I've known since my childhold and got knowlegde about the world. Years ago, I always attended the nine-day novena but I never completed it. I attempted to complete it but I was being tempt by my sleep. It's like I can't carry myself to stand up. Hehehe. Maybe, it's satan's way of stopping me to go to church. :( . It is because, I hate waking up at dawn. I don't want my sleep to be disturbed. It's what I hated the most. It's okay with me to still wake until dawn but to be awake at dawn? NO WAY!!! It's the main reason why I never completed it.

But, last Simbang Gabi, I was able to complete it. I did my best to not get absent even once. What I did is sleep earlier at night so I wouldn't get yawn in church. It would be ashamed. hehehe. Night before the first day, I was very excited. I was very excited to complete it. I am excited to wish. For my first and second day, I attended the mass or novena in Maasin Cathedral since it was during school days. I went to church with my roommates. As we were on our way to church, it's so fun since we are many. And as we came there, we were amazed by the crowds. hundreds of people attended. What I can see most is families. It was really crowd that others just standing while the mass is going on since there were no sits available inside and out. It shows how religious Filipinos especially Maasinhons are.

During the start of mass, bishop blessed the new bell of the church with water and after that, they let it bell. the sound is good to hear. It's friendly for the ears. Hehehe. That was the first time it was used. Also, it was my first time to attend mass in the Cathedral during Simbang Gabi. As we went home after the mass, we went back to sleep. Hehehe.

The rest of the days is spent in my place. I went to church with my family. We woke up at 3:30 am in which alarm clocks awakes us. I insure to put the alarm clock beside me so I can really hear it. Hahaha. Simbang gabi is a spiritual preparation for the birth of Jesus. This is the way of requesting blessings as what most people believed that if one completed the whole series of nine-day novena or mass, her wish will be come true. My family teased me about my wish that made me complete the novena. Wanna know my wish? hmp. It's a big secret of mine. wish should not be told for it to be granted. This is what I heard from them.

After the mass, delicacies awaits the people. Unlike in cities that delicacies are sold, in my place, residents of our barangay were divided into ten committees. Each committee is assigned each day to bring delicacies for the church goer. Outside the church, in covered court area, tables and chairs were set for the people. After the mass, they just sit there immediately and eat together. Foods were served by the committee. Looking people; young and old, kids and parents, teens and citizens, eating together is really great. I found it amazing and fun. People during this time is reunited. It's like a really big whole family eating together.As we went home, we went back to sleep since it's still dark outside. I really congratulated myself because I made it to complete the nine mornings. Yahooooooooo. I hope my wish will be granted. Also, all your wishes will be come true also. God Bless us all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment