Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Jamboree



October 22-28, 2010 was the set date for the 7th BSP National Rover Moot which is held at Danao, Malapoc Norte, Maasin City, Southern Leyte. Danao is also called the Maasin City Forest Park. Before this said event, our government improvised it more like making more comfort rooms which is really important. They also improvised the street to the jamboree sites since it's still not concrete. Also, people made tents for their stores, including my parents, aunts and uncles and our few neighbors. Some were from other barangays and towns.

I was not able to witness the whole event since I was very busy helping my mother and aunts in the store because of many customers. All I'm gonna tell you is what I have seen and known. October 21 was the arrival of some rover moots who came from different towns or cities like Antipolo City, Davao City, Cebu City, Tacloban, Calbayog, Batangas, etc. After their arrival, they make their tents or assemble their camping tents immediately so they can rest. Rover moots from So. Leyte arrived the next day. Oct. 22 at night, Rover moots were gathered at the oval which served as the activity area for a short welcome program in which Mayor Maloney Samaco, Maasin City Mayor, delivered his welcome speech and to formaliza the opening of the event. Early morning on the next day, rover moots were divided and assigned to different public schools of Maasin City such as the schools in barangays San Rafael, Asuncion, Manhilo, Libhu, Malapoc Sur and Malapoc Norte and Maasin Central School where they rendered their services like helping the carpenters in building up the school stage of the Malapoc Norte, making school fences in Malapoc Sur and other projects of the rest of the schools that are mentioned. When the night came, a party was held exclusively for them. This also serve as a welcome party for all participants. They did the rendering of services until the 27th day of October in the late morning.

Oct. 26 was the arrival of BSP (Boy Scouts of the Phillippines) from different towns or cities and province such as Guimaras, Bacolod, Negros Occidental, Cagayan De Oro, Capiz, Bohol, Biliran and So. Leyte, respectively. Another opening program was held. On the next day, in the afternoon, there was a drum and bugle contest in which the SJS, CM, Manhilo National Highschool and School of Malitbog competed. Also, the winner for the cheerdance competition of the MCC loyalty day did a presentation. This was to entertain the visitors or the BSP. When the night came, a cultural show was held in which the different council wear costumes and compete for their cultural or festival dance of their places. Afterwards, the people were entertained with the musical performance of two bands from Maasin City (Hybrid monkeys and Reggae sa Maasin). Some danced at the front stage while others just stood and watched. Oct. 28, in the afternoon, there was a street dancing and performing again their festival was being followed, showing cultural traditions of different towns. Some council had a short dramatization of their festival in the middle of their dance performance. At night, a grand camp fire was made. Presentations by different councils were being expected, including dancing, singing and drama presentations. After this, the event was formally closed.

It was my first time to witness a National Jamboree like that. I'm looking forward to the next one. Even if I was very busy in helping out in the store, at least I was able to witness maybe half of the event.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Fe,

    I would have liked to have seen this myself also, one thing I didn't get to see while I was in Maasin City, was some of the cultural dances and performances, I find that very interesting, and would have loved to taken some pictures of this, but these things weren't happening when I was there. My little Chesca attended this jamboree with her neighbors from Brgy. Combado..and she had great time. I did visit Maasin City Forest Park (Danao) when I was there, was very beautiful and we had a nice lunch up there and spent a half day just enjoying ourselves.
    If you have facebook, add me, and you can see some of the many pictures I took while I was in Maasin this past May/June 2010. God Bless you and your family, please take care and keep up the great blogging and writing.
    Danny :)

    ReplyDelete